Recommended LTM wide-angle - probably 28mm

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by stillshunter, Feb 22, 2014.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Leica Place Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    Well I'm enjoying getting to know my IIIf. The Summicron (50mm) has its quirks but I really like its balance of contrast and sharpness, well ultimately its rendering so far. The IIIf has been transformed since getting the SBOOI (50mm viewfinder) and that bright 1:1 view is a revelation. This VF has me thinking of the potential for other lenses and so far the only thing I've found myself needing is a wide angle. Having done some research Cosine Voigtlander (CV) can give me anything from 15mm in LTM mount.:cool: There are some local (Aussie) deals on either a CV 21 or 25 both with accessory VFs. I like the idea but the more I ruminate the more I wonder if a 28mm wouldn't be more sensible for day-to-day use. What do you think, is the next step best a 28mm?

If so, are there any 28mms you might recommend? So far the best proposition seems to be the CV28/3.5….

Cheers,
    Mark

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    28mm is my widest for the rangefinder cameras. The Voigtlander lens- small, well suited to the IIIf. The Nikkor 28/3.5 in Leica Mount comes up on Ebay, is tiny. I have it in S-mount, a good lens. Same with the Canon 28/3.5.

3. stillshunter

Dec 26, 2013
    Thank Brian. I'd thought about the Canon 28/3.5 but it seems quite pricey - being more expensive in most cases than the Voigtlander. I assume the Voigtlander has a more modern higher contrast rendering than the Canon or Nikon? I've come to appreciate lower contrast with B+W film. I'll have a look for the Nikkor.

There's also a few Avenon 28/3.5 available? :hmmm:

Meanwhile Voigtlander 28/3.5 and Ultron 28/1.9 are going for very similar money. I don't really need speed - though it is handy to have available - is the f3.5 still the better option?

4. stillshunter

Dec 26, 2013
  5. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Ouch! My S-Mount 28/35 was $300.

If the 28/1.9 and 28/3.5 are about the same price- go for the 1.9! My 35/1.7 Ultron is a favorite.