Replacement screw

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by VINCETAN, Apr 24, 2014.

1. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    While attempting to put back an old Zeiss lens, I happen to break the head of one of the very tiny screw. This is the smallest screw on the lens. There are 3 that hold the focusing ring so 2 should still work but just wondering where I can find the replacement

Thanks
    Vince

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    "They are like Hens Teeth"... I get mine from parts lenses. They often break, I need to find a good source for new ones. I've seen the same type of lens made within a few years of each other use different size screws. I've seen lenses made decades apart from different manufacturers use the same screws. Screws from a 1970s Canonet used to fix a 1949 Canon 50/1.9 Serenar. It's one of those you need a good one in front of you to match up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Watch repair parts?

4. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Thanks Brian. I finally figured out the name of the screw. So it is easier to search. I have to figure out how to measure the screw. First thing I guess is to acquire a caliper. Been wanting to get one for ages anyway.

One thing I am finding is that this lens is a pain. I followed the Jupiter 9 disassembly and it is close but not the same still. The spring that push the focus coupling on the Jupiter 9 has a retaining ring. This one does not. I spent more time trying to figure out how to put the spring back in. On the Jupiter, once you slide the focus cylinder down, you can see the spring and the stop screw. On this lens, there is another cylinder blocking it. I tried removing the 3 screw holding it and try to unscrew it but it would not budge. So I just decided to back off.

On the reassembly, so not only is the spring a pain, but the focus ring collar is now a problem. In the Jupiter, it slides out. On the Zeiss, it screwed in. So no problem right, just screw it right back. Not, for some reason, it will not go in. I think the focus ring is not perfectly round and the thread so so thin that it needs to be so precise. If only they built the ring out of a heavier gauge of steel to start with. Over engineered on one hand, but cheap material on the other. Not a good combination. After an hour, I decided to put it off for another day.

I also have to figure how to back off the broken slot screw.

I did not have that much problem when I disassemble my Nikon 55mm Micro.

All frustrating but fun.

• Like Like x 1