Rodney Dangerfield "I don't get no respect" lenses...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Brian, May 9, 2013.

1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    The Cosina/Voigtlander 35/1.7 Ultron Aspheric gets my vote. This lens is compact, light, "sharp-enough and Fast enough" and has beautiful Bokeh. I just picked up a near mint one in Black with an M-Mount adapter for ~$300. Replaced one that I sold to a friend deployed overseas a few years ago. At a time when the Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 LTM is over $1,000 and the Canon 35/1.5 is close to a $1,000- the Ultron is a bargain. Glad I have mine!

[​IMG]

2. TraamisVos

TraamisVos Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I give this thread two 'thanks', one just for the thread title.

What's this Ultron like compared to the Nokton 35mm f/1.4?

3. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I have not shot with the 35/1.4 Nokton, but have seen images from it. The Bokeh is "Harsh"- typical of over-correction for spherical aberration. "Donut" shaped out of focus circles in the background. The 35/1.4 Nokton is not an aspheric design- so a fast/wide-angle lens is going to have more spherical aberration. The Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 is much the same, over-corrected for spherical aberration- Donut Bokeh. I have the Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 and 3.5cm F2.5 in S-Mount. The Ultron has very smooth out of focus areas, I have to believe it is due to the aspheric surface.

4. TraamisVos

Mar 30, 2013
    I have a love-hate relationship with the Nokton 35mm f/1.4, sometimes it produces beautiful images and other times it's just mediocre. I'd be happy to go with the Ultron if it performs better although I'm not so sure about the f/1.7 (I have the f/1.1 and it's a pretty huge difference with the f/1.4). Otherwise the new 35mm f/1.2 is looking pretty good.

5. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The Ultron is much more predictable- the out-of-focus areas are going to be smoothed out.

Look for one in the classified ads at getdpi and rangefinderforum- they tend to pop up. I think the prices have bottomed out, so you can try it out and always sell it if it does not work out. I have the type 1 35/1.2 Nokton for when I need the extra stop. It is a much bigger and heavier lens. I go for the Ultron most of the time.

6. TraamisVos

Mar 30, 2013
    ahhhhhhhhh don't make me look at the classifieds!

7. NJH

NJH Leica Place Regular

Apr 29, 2013
    I just bought the VC 25/4 color skopar at the weekend for my M8, does this lens qualify for this thread?

I don't have any interesting images from it yet, just been playing around at home but so far it seems plenty sharp and detailed enough if there is enough light, images in low light though look very soft compared to my 50/2 planar which I guess is a much higher contrast lens.

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Yes it does!

Some others on my list- 50/1.1 Nokton, Nikkor 5cm F2, Canon 50/1.4...

9. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    I agree with the 50/1.1 and Canon 50/1.4 - I've read good things about both yet don't think that either gets its full due. But the first lens which comes to mind when I see this thread title is actually the Nokton 35/1.4. The biggest knock is harsh bokeh, but you don't often hear that about the pre-aspherical Summilux, which has very similar OOF rendering wide open. The Nokton bokeh smooths out nicely from f/2. Sure it has some barrel distortion and focus shift, but it's a tiny f/1.4 lens, after all. I had one when I was shooting film, and I do miss it.

10. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Schneider Xenar lenses never got the respect of the Tessar or Elmar, on 35mm or 2 1/4. After modifying this 5cm F2.8 lens into Leica Mount and using on the M9: I think it is better than the Elmar and Tessar of the day. This World War II vintage lens is coated, and is 5 elements in 4 groups. This probably explains the better performance at F2.8 than I got from the F2.8 Tessar. More images in the image sample archive.

Attached Files:

11. TraamisVos

Mar 30, 2013
    Besides the harsh-ish bokeh (that sometimes renders beautifully), the other issue I have with the 35mm is that even when stopped down at f/4 to 5.6, it's still not sharp corner to corner. It's really a lens that is best used for shallow depth of field where corner or edge sharpness isn't a problem.

I don't really want to knock on this lens too much though, it was the only lens I had on my M8.2 for two years and it served me really well.

12. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Just to follow up on the harshness or lack of harshness of the Nokton bokeh, here is an interesting comparison against the 35mm Summicron ASPH showing that the Nokton has much smoother bokeh than the Leica at f/2:

35mm Lens Comparison

Here is the specific f/2 bokeh comparison:

Nokton: http://www.myrightasset.com/35mm challenge part2/images/35-Nokton-f2big.jpg

Leica: http://www.myrightasset.com/35mm challenge part2/images/35-Leica-f2big.jpg

I would say that the Nokton has smooth bokeh from f/2 onwards. It can get harsh at f/1.4, but most lenses can't do f/1.4, and most of the one which can (Summilux FLE included) have harsh bokeh at f/1.4.

13. TraamisVos

Mar 30, 2013
    I'm a bit surprised by the Skopar's performance there.

14. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Among newer lenses the Leica Summarit family tends to receive many insults. Ken Rockwell (I know) writes about them as though they were total garbage.

I own three of the four Summarits (35, 75 and 90) and find without exception they are as sharp as anything I've used in the center from wide-open, and stopped down slightly are sharp from corner to corner, even on the Monochrom. They also have beautiful bokeh, which is the reason I bought them, and it doesn't hurt that they are much smaller and lighter (at least the telephotos) than their Summicron cousins at about half the price. I had the 50 Summicron and didn't like the harsh bokeh, and am currently evaluating the Zeiss 50 Planar, which if I don't keep, will replace with a Summarit 50.

I'm guessing that the people who gripe about the Summarits don't own and/or haven't spent any appreciable time using one.

15. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    If Ken Rockwell doesn't like them, regard that as a compliment.

• Like Like x 1
  16. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Yup. I ordered my first one (the 35) after reading his diatribe. It has become my very favorite lens of any platform.

17. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I gotta admit that I don't even consider the summarits b/c of all the negative reviews.

18. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    You are losing out, they are terrific lenses. I sold the Elmarit 90mm and a Summicron 35mm v4 "Bokeh King" to buy the Summarits, which for me at least are better in every way. Sharper, more flare resistant, and better bokeh, in a smaller, lighter and compared to the Elmarit faster lens with nicer rendering.

These are first class lenses all-the-way. I may just pick up the 50 to complete the set. I really only reach for something else when I need a wider focal length or want a different bokeh effect.

19. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
  20. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Your probably right. When I'm looking for a new lens I seem to gravitate towards the fastest one in the FL that I'm interested in and can afford. Even when I can't afford it, I just save that much longer till I can. It's not really the bokeh that I'm interested in, it's the low light ability of the fast aperture that I desire.