Sensor Question

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by Christilou, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    M + Zeiss 50mm 1.5

Having used this combo this afternoon and caused extreme flaring (which I like :) I noticed a line running down through the flared part of the picture which goes most of the way down when magnified. Does this mean I need to send it to Leica? I will have had this camera since October last year so it would be best to get it looked at soon if it needs it!

15155959740_83bd1da3f9_b. Autumnal Flare...... by christilou1, on Flickr

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Could you put a 100% crop around the line? If it is a bad pixel, the line should b black at 100% crop. It could be something else- like a light streak on the sensor. It could also be just some weird artifact caused by the flare hitting off-sensor. I would like to see a totally out-of-focus picture taken of a lightbulb, or something like that.

3. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    Two more!

15340743761_2d578acce5_b. L1001750 by christilou1, on Flickr

15157219540_f51238126b_b. L1001750-Edit-2 by christilou1, on Flickr

There are two vertical pink lines, when viewed at 100% they are more like dashes than dots. These occur in the first left hand third of the frame. If you look at the larger magnification you can also see a feint white line on the horizontal. Best I can do for now as I have family duties!! Thanks for looking.

4. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Here's another suggestion to determine if there's an issue with your sensor. Shoot a blank wall and underexpose it by a lot. Not completely black but pretty dark. And then if you're using Lightroom or any other editing program. Pull up the shadows and this will show the bad pixel. At least it does on my M-E. I have a bad pixel column again myself that has been repaired once before. I don't notice it shooting base ISO to ISO 640. But if I underexpose and photo and then try to pull up some detail in the shadows it appears.

I'm waiting till I get back from a photo shoot I'm going on in early November to send mine in for repair under warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    I'll try and do that tomorrow, at least find a plain background to make things easier. Thanks for the suggestion Duane.

6. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    The last shot: the "Line" is not vertical. It could be a strand of spider web, like others in the image. I would try the out-of-focus lamp-shade.

I've looked at some images of mine, thinking "Dust" or "Hot Pixel" only to find it was something real, like a strand of spider web or floating dust.

7. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    Sorry, sloppy cropping! The line was straight

8. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    In the meantime if there really is a bad column and you're using Lightroom (that's what I'm familiar with) you can use the Healing Brush and use the straight line option to fix the problem before cropping/rotating the image and save it as a Preset.

• Like Like x 1