Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 Nokton

I'm very envious of you both! I've always wanted this lens since I heard of it, a few years ago I was thinking of get a Bessa R3A and this lens but never got round to doing it. Now the prices seem to have risen substantially, I used to be able to get the bessa and lens for the price of the lens only these days!

I'm deeply in love with its bokeh. Some people see it as too distracting, but I sometimes like 'distractive' bokeh, guess it adds character in my opinion.

Now I have the K5 I'm considering the 58mm Nokton which renders very similarly but is only 1.4, though it was discontinued a month or so ago :(

So.......... almost two years later, I finally clicked on the 'purchase' button on eBay tonight. The lens will hopefully arrive before the end of the week.

I've already blown my year's camera budget (just 2 days into February!) so I'll live vicariously through your posts. Please show us some awesome shots when you get it.

that's all i need

heh, the way you responded, it sounds like I've just said: "I can only promise shots of cocaine, vodka, and speed."

That's something I really need to find out as well!!

Well there was that one time when I didn't eat breakfast or lunch or anything else except one meal for dinner for 6 months straight.... which sort of helped me lose a bit of weight too, but that was more of a collateral circumstance.

But I'd been watching this eBay auction for a week and the bid for the nokton f/1.1 lens had gone higher and higher and higher, to about $660 last night. Then just by chance I bumped into a "buy it now" listing for another nokton f/1.1 by another seller for $645.

(1) I'd never seen the f/1.1 nokton sell for this low before, and...

(2) the bidders in the other auction for that nokton had overshot the price for this new listing and none of them had noticed it yet.

(3) the seller had an excellent eBay rating.

So after aching over it for a couple of hours, I jumped on it. I just had to.

The other one eventually sold for $690 in the end.

A few from last year's Cherry Blossoms Festival in DC, all wide open f/1.1 with nex 5-n:

original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

I've often wondered if there's any advantage from drawing the bow from up high (other than looking cool). Great photos folks! The Nokton 50/1.1 is the poor man's Noctilux. Although it's still pretty expensive for a poor man!

I don't know too much about bowing but they were the slowest activity show in the festival:) I think the eye level should be easier, but then they are not too far from their target. When they took their time, I practiced my manual focus shooting:) It is not a Noctilux on nex, eg 75mm 1.9, but I am waiting for Sony full frame to use it more, but then the dof might be even harder for fast shooting, maybe it might be easier to focus on a m9...

I've often wondered if there's any advantage from drawing the bow from up high (other than looking cool). Great photos folks! The Nokton 50/1.1 is the poor man's Noctilux. Although it's still pretty expensive for a poor man!

Back