Some portraits from Bunker Museum IJmuiden

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Mr_Flibble, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    A week and a half ago (Weekend of the 20th may 2017) I went to a Living History event at the Bunker Museum in IJmuiden (NL) also known as "Widerstandsnest 2000". The various living history groups, Panzer Grenadiers, Dutch and French resistance, Americans, British SAS were spread out over the terrain and there were raids and probes towards the other encampments all day and evening.

I took the opportunity to snap a few photos with my Graflex Speed Graphic, Leica I and Leica M-E.

I'll share some of the portraits I took with the Leica M-E and Xenon 50mm f/1.5 here:

1. Machine gunner's assistant
    BM170569.

2. Machine gunner
    BM170570.

3. Medic
    BM170571.

4. French Resistance Fighter
    BM170581.

5. French Resistance Fighter x2
    BM170582.

6. Maquisard x3
    BM170584.

7. Our Looie
    BM170531.

8. Second in Command
    BM170540.

9. Two-fer portrait
    BM170576.

10. Out on a night raid.
    BM170558.

It was a fun weekend, except that we couldn't put our tents up due to some caterpillar infestation. The Museum granted us access to some of the bunkers to stay in for the weekend. So we slept next to the preserved wreck of a Zeehund 2-man u-boat :)
    Looking forward to going again next year....though preferably without the caterpillars.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Amazing photographs- the color could be out of a 1940s Life.

That Xenon always amazes me- another lens that gets a bum rap due to haze and scratches in the soft front element. Find a good one- gives a unique rendering and vintage color.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Great portraits, Rick!

4. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Thanks,

The glow in number 6 and 7 does tell me I should've brought the hood (got a XOONS somewhere for it but it's rather bulky). I used my M1 helmet to shade the lens a bit when I could. Shooting close to wide open did mean that one-handed shooting wasn't much of a problem. ;)

• Like Like x 1