Storing Prints

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mijo, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Since I picked up an M6 last year I've been shooting more film than digital and I've been doing a lot of printing, from those negatives. Lately I've printing large (i.e. 20x24, 16x20, 11x14) and have collected a decent stack of prints (RC and fiber) which I now need to store. Back in college I'd just store prints in old boxes in which the photo paper would come in. I've framed a number of prints I've made with the intention of rotating prints out of the frames on a regular basis

My question to forum members is how are you storing your prints and do you have any specific containers you would recommend? Do you store your prints in different containers based on the size of the print or just put all of the prints into the same container?

2. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    That's a great idea for rotating out your prints to show in the home.

I'll assume you're not going to stop printing anytime soon, so your collection will grow quite a bit. Easy searches will be important.

I'd suggest storage by category: family, nature, street, architecture, scenes ... Store the prints within boxes by size, smallest to the front. Once you fill up a box by its category, then break out the category into separate boxes by size too: 11X14, 16X20, 20X24.

I would think with this approach you could rotate in for that medium sized picture that other medium sized family member picture, without too much searching.

• Like Like x 1