The Ballerina

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by tmldds, Feb 25, 2014.

1. tmldds

tmldds Leica Place Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Texas
    I participated in a group shoot in Houston last Sunday and the model was a fabulous ex-Russian ballerina.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Lucky you, a great model! Something about the second picture makes me want to turn her a little more towards the camera though :)

3. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Beautiful Tones and Figure.

4. tmldds

Nov 20, 2013
    Texas
    Thank you Christilou and Brian. Christilou, with a group shoot, the photographers are generally stuck in one position and can only move a little forward, backward, up, down, but not sideways because there are always others on either side of you.

5. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Ahh, I see. That must be really frustrating! On the other hand there's less pressure if you're in a group. I really struggle to overcome shyness when taking photos of people, I feel like a rabbit in the spotlight or the great pretender :blush:

6. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. russelljtdyer

russelljtdyer Leica Place Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Milan, Italy
    Russell J.T. Dyer
    Life Imitating Art

About two years ago, I was thinking of selling my Canon 5D Mark II camera and Zeiss ZE lenses and buying eventually a Leica full-frame digital camera. Before doing so, I rented a Leica M9 camera for four days when I was in Boston to see how I liked it. One of those days I walked around Cambridge and took many photos. This one was taken on the campus of Harvard University. I caught this young woman practicing her ballet next to a statue of a ballerina. It's not my best photo, but I like the combination of her pose with the statue. I've thought of printing a large copy of it and hanging it in my hallway, on one of those narrow wall spaces that hallways seem to have between door frames.

As for the camera, I decided to proceed with the transition from Canon DSLR to a Leica M9. It took some time to sell all of the equipment, and was delayed a few times due to some hits along the way to my personal finances, but this month I bought a Leica M9. It's in the mail heading to me. I should receive it on Wednesday (March 26, 2014).

russelljtdyer-20120513-leicaplace-ballerina-1.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    She's adorable- what a great shot taken at the right time.

Be sure to let us know when the M9 arrives.

9. tmldds

Nov 20, 2013
    Texas
    We look forward to seeing some shots with your new baby. You will love it!

10. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    Congratulations on the Leica M9.
    I was at Harvard just recently, and your image of girl and statue looks great.

11. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Well done Tri!

12. russelljtdyer

russelljtdyer Leica Place Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Milan, Italy
    Russell J.T. Dyer
    Thanks, Brian, Tri, Raid, and everyone else. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my M9. I see now on-line that it arrived at the Paris airport this morning. It should be in Milan by the end of the day today, and spend a while with Italian customs tomorrow. That's where and when I will worry the most. I dread having a package in the possession of Italian customs. Normally, a package will clear customs in a day or two, but they held once a package of mine for six months. Although they probably won't, they might try to charge me a hefty tax of a few hundred dollars. If they do that, it would take some doing to convince them that I shouldn't have to pay a tax for it. I won't be at ease until it arrives without a customs charge. Hopefully, that will happen Wednesday evening.

-Russell

P.S.: Sorry for this sidetrack of this thread.

13. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Russel, good luck with the M9, it's surely a different experience with the RF!