The M240

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by BillN, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BillN

BillN Leica Place Rookie

Mar 30, 2013
    Rave reviews or what

Is it as big as a small DSLR

Could seriously "dint/dent" a few people's cash budgets

best Leica digital ever

Leica M 240 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

2. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I had the opportunity to handle the new M at the new Leica Miami Store opening two weeks ago.

Leica Store Miami Grand Opening | Duane Pandorf

I only had it in my hand for a few minutes and found it to handle not much different from my M-E. I could see getting one in a couple years as by then whatever bugs crop up will have been corrected and there might actually be a couple available for sale.

3. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I think this is one of the best features of new Leica products. The relative unavailability of new products for the first year (or two) after their introduction helps immensely in keeping my GAS in check. :)

Having said that, the M 240 certainly looks like an interesting prospect.

Cheers,

Antonio

4. serhan

serhan Leica Place Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    NYC
    Excellent review I saw this morning from Tim Ashley:
    Tim Ashley Photography | The M (Typ 240) - Leica's new baby reviewed

Other reviews from Jono and Ming:
    Testing the Leica M (240)
    The 2013 Leica M - Ming Thein

For pixel peepers, here is a comparison of Sony full frame NEX-VG900E and Leica M with the Leica Summilux-M 50 ASPH lens:
    http://www.digitalversus.com/camcor...6043/full-frame-sony-nex-put-test-n28888.html

Leica M looks sharper esp the corners and the fabric. They should have checked with a wider lens also to see how much the corner performance differs....

5. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    My M240 is in stock

The question is.... do I want it still? Not sure what to do, it's a lot of money but then, I've always wanted one. Will it cure me of gas forevermore? Help me decide someone!

6. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I was waffling between a M-E and getting in line for a 240. There's a lot of features on the 240 that could potentially reduce the overall cost of my system (i.e. one EVF instead of multiple VF for wide angle lenses). However after doing some research on the differences between CCD and CMOS sensors (in terms of color), I decided to go with an M-E. I figured that from here on out digital M's will probably all have CMOS sensors so I might as well experience CCD while I have the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    I like the ergonomics and somewhat simplicity of the old M8, M9, ME camera. It might just be because of the number of years I have been using them but it just seems to flow well. On the M240, it is a bit different. It really throws me off somewhat. There are lots of things to like about the M240. The shutter is one of my favorite. I also like the idea that it is weather resistant. The electronic frameline is very nice. I like the idea of LV. It is easier to use than the LV of the Nikon D800e in my opinion. With LV, I can now use almost any lenses out there. Might that be that balanced but at least, I can use them. Nice but not too important to me is the large screen that is also much better looking. I would just go straight to the M240 if you do not have an M body yet. Just save up and wait a year, the price will probably start dropping by then

• Like Like x 1
  8. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    This would be my first (and probably only!). Leica M and I think that being able to use lv and also the option of an electronic vf would be a good back up for me in case I find manual focus too problematical. I've earmarked the money from a small inheritance, my worry is that if I don't use the money for the longed for Leica, I'll just squander the money away on continual swapping and changing cameras! Leaning towards the go for it camp at the moment :rolleyes:

9. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Go for it! The Olympus EVF-2 introduced with the EP-2 works with the M Type 240.

• Like Like x 2
  10. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I can't wait for the Monochrom version.

11. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Here's my speculation- the uniformity of the CCD used in the M Monochrom is extremely good, gives a true 14-bit image without banding. Truesense is "Cherry Picking" detectors, the best of the best. A monochrome image requires better uniformity than a color image because there is no interpolation of the image.

I think it is going to be a while before a CMOS based monochrome camera comes out with the clean image given by the M Monochrom.

Truesense does have a monochrome 4/3 format CMOS sensor. The published specs on it are on par with the sensor in the Olympus EP2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Not interested in 4/3. With what I've spent in time and money building my M lens kit, it will will be along time before I buy an interchangeable lens in any other mount.

Now something like a fixed-lens RX1 or X2 I'll likely pick up before my trip to Germany in April, just for the family happy-snaps when I don't want to teach strangers (or my wife) how to frame and focus the MM.

13. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    I love the M Monochrom pictures that I've seen. Having a camera simply for b & w really is a luxury ;) Taken a couple of days to actually hit the pay button but have finally done it this afternoon. Will be getting the Leica 50mm 1.4 as my one and only Leica lens. Think I'm going to have to spend quite some time trying to master rangefinder focusing now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    So which one did you hot the Pay button on????? The M240 or the M Monochrom???

Either way: rangefinders are so easy to use, a 4-year old could do it. That's when Nikki first used my M3. On an outing, Nina asked her "Do you want to take a picture with Mommy's camera?"

Her answer- "No, I want to take a picture with Daddy's camera!"

We are standing by, glad to answer any question as best as possible!

15. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    I got the M240 :) Thank you, that's very kind :) :) I've a feeling I'll be asking a lot of daft questions!

16. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    You can't go wrong with the 50mm Lux Asph.

• Like Like x 1
  17. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    Congratulations!, enjoy the M 240, it is a great camera. I'm sure you will have lot of fun shooting it. A little learning curve from SLR but well worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy the camera and put it to very good use.

Cheers,

Antonio

19. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    Thanks Antonio, I'm expecting a very long learning curve before I have anything worth showing :)

20. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Congrats on the 240! one of my local camera shops has one for demo purposes and I went in on Saturday to check it out. I was really impresed with LV and the EVF. It looks like the wait times have been greatly reduced as the shop owner indicated it only takes about 4 months to get a black one and even less for the silver.

• Like Like x 1