Thinking of getting a Panny L1/Digilux 3

Discussion in 'Leica D-LUX, V-LUX, and Digilux' started by rbelyell, Jul 31, 2015.

1. rbelyell

rbelyell Leica Place Veteran

May 25, 2014
    i am so enamored of my manual focus, 6mp, ccd, fully analogue epson rd1 that i am thinking of adding what i see as its autofocus counterpart, the panny dmc l1 with 'kit' vario elmarit 14-50/2.8-3.5. i know its format, 4/3rds, is no longer supported, but that doesnt concern me. i am interested in first hand accounts of the camera and the lens, good and bad. what draws me are the hybrid ccd/cmos sensor, the full set of on camera analogue controls, the optical vf, and the leica lens with aperture ring. tell me about your experience! (ps, please dont point me to fuji. i love the company, love the analogue hardware, hate xtrans rendering) thanks!

2. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    wow! that first shot i love. can you expand on your experience, good and bad? were these taken with the vario elmarit? how fast/accurate was the autofocus and the manual focus confirmation? how is high iso? raw vs jpeg? what lenses did you use/like? if i like the initial setup i'm thinking about getting the native 25/1.4 lux btw.
    thanks!

4. carlb

May 1, 2013
    Autofocus is decent in good light, not as great in dim light. Manual focus wasn't too bad, there are two magnification settings (the least magnifcation is the most useful). The controls/haptics are great. The 25 1.4 should be superb with it.

I've shot it with the Pana-Leica 14-50mm and the 14-150mm, both are superb. I almost always have the 14-150mm attached, it's so versatile. The ability to change aperture on the lens and shutter on the top-dial is quite natural to shooting Leicas.

It's a BIG camera, larger than the m9 or M240, heh.

Between this and the Oly E-1 with its Kodak CCD, I prefer the E-1 slightly more for image qualities. I definitely prefer the controls better on the Digilux 3, however.

5. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    thanks carl, very much appreciated. as you note, the big draw for me is the manual controls and ovf. but i am also curious about this hybrid sensor, as i really love ccd.

truth is, i bought a kit already, from germany, $330 usd for the cam and leica 14-50/2.8, but the lens's OIS doesnt work. i come from film so i try to have good technique. theres no IS on my rd1 and i never use IS on my m4/3 because of SS issues, so i dont think itll be a problem and the price was too good to pass up. if i like it my ultimate plan is to get the lux for indoor and the leica r 100/4 macro for portraits, so i hope the mf confirm is accurate. ive always wanted to try that lens, but never had the proper vehicle as i shot canon slrs.

any thing else you think i need to know? can i use any sd card? can i shoot raw at 1600, like with my rd1?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  6. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    The images look great. 6MP are sufficient.

7. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    7.5 for this one, 6 for the rd1

8. carlb

May 1, 2013
    No obvious limitations that I can think of. I'll guess that due to the age, there is likely a limit to the size of the SSD cards. I don't think you'll notice much noise penalty up to ISO 800.
    You'll have a blast with it. :)

9. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    thanks!

10. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    The Digilux 2/Lumix LC1 accepts SD cards up to 2GB in size. Your camera may be similar to the LC1 here.

11. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    thanks, i had forgotten that from my old digilux 2 days.

12. carlb

May 1, 2013
    Looks like it supports SDHC (>2GB) ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    What version firmware are you running? The firmware on the M8 was updated for larger cards; the same may be true for the Digilux.

I played with Raid's camera yesterday- they are nice.

14. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    I have not yet checked out if there are any updated firmware downloads for the Digilux 2.

15. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    my seller told me i have whatever the latest firmware was for the L1

16. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    What firmware is it?

17. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    not sure tbh. the seller was a well known german leica dealer. i just asked him if it was the latest figuring i could trust him, and he told me unequivocally it was. i havent bothered to look it up, its a ten year old camera, so i havent wanted to spend the time.

18. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    well i got my L1 kit today and i'm pretty pleased, though its a much bigger rig than i thought--there is not so much of a size advantage i can see over a traditional slr. camera is maybe 20% smaller than my old 5d, though its probably noticeably lighter. and it doesnt have that ugly slr hump. the 28-100mm equiv leica lens is probably smaller and lighter than the canon equivalent, but its 72mm filter, so its plenty thick. ive only taken test shots, but the hybrid ccd/cmos sensor is really lovely. very pleasing bright accurate colors with pop and nice detail. thats what i was after, along with the full boat of analogue controls, so i'm happy so far.

i do have a question: when using the lcd focus is confirmed with a green light in the center focus point. when using the vf it seems the green light comes on to the extreme right, under the exposure info. but at the same time that happens, a red light goes on in the center focus point. i read the manual but didnt see anything about that. can anyone educate me on why that red light comes on and what it signifies?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  19. carlb

May 1, 2013
    Sorry Tony, a mystery to me too. It may be that one is light-level, the other is focus - but that's mere speculation.

Glad you like it. The PL 25mm will be a great one to shoot on this. A fantastically versatile and superb lens is the PL 14-150mm, made especially for this camera.