Three days of miniscule celebrity: flickr 'Explore'

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by carlb, Sep 21, 2015.

1. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Had my first ever photo put into flickr's 'Explore' collection. Holy-flying-bundt-cakes: eleven-thousand-plus views.

Started with my usual contacts saying a few nice things ("Not bad..." "Hey, it's in focus!").

Then a "Congrats on the explore!" Huh?

After which a boatload of ephemeral "Favorites" and "Beautifuls!" "Gorgeouses!" "Wows!", i.e., one-or-two-word descriptors punctuated with exclamation points! Kept up for three days!

Things have died down now. Back to the twosie-threesie photo views and an occasional "Nice exposure."

I like this one a lot, but I've many others I thought better. Life and the internet are strange.

21069461698_d0e5b71f32_b. rice creek at lexington - westward by Carl B, on Flickr

Could I even try to repeat this? More like lightening or the lotto - maybe I shouldn't? Heh!

Leica M9, SEM ASPH 21mm.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

If you do get one back on the Explore pages, the comments should be a good comparison to measure how well your image resonates with the people there. This one was certainly worthy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Feb 18, 2015
    Very nice! I had a similar experience - the one image I had explored was not one I would have expected to be. Fun while it lasts!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Congrats!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. uhoh7

uhoh7 Leica Place Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    well yours was better than mine, which I nearly did not upload at all LOL

12275809255_7299236052_b.
    L1002752
    by unoh7, on Flickr

If I'd named it.....

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Leica Place Regular

Sep 8, 2015
    UK
    Steve
    Had one of my recent shots explored (my second so far) with 10.7k views, and the number is still rising. I'd like to know what sort of algorithm they - Yahoo - use to choose what's explored or not.

• Like Like x 1
  7. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    No idea really. It would be interesting to hear what it is ...

And congrats!

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Leica Place Regular

Sep 8, 2015
    UK
    Steve
    And congrats to you too!!
    The main thing is to enjoy one's photography. I only started using Flickr as a hosting platform, but then started following others who's photography I admire. But this follow and following thing is abused by some, trying to spring board themselves ito explore. How sad!