Vadnais Lake

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by carlb, Jun 5, 2014.

1. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Great series Carl. Just wondering, did you have to do a lot of post processing or pretty much straight out of the camera? Love the scenery

3. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Thanks, Vince. My goal is to bring the best out in the shot. At that time of evening the light was stupendous. Has been for a few days, at times like a Maxfield Parrish painting.

I shoot with "Vivid" film simulator in-camera. I'll often apply a bit of sharpening, but if it makes for weird artifacts at 100% view I back it down.

For the b/w people shots, I used separate masked color filtering for the people, versus the backgrounds. Red was good for people, blue often for backgrounds. If something in the background was too distracting (that white car for instance), I'd use a graduated ND filter to make it less of a thing.

In general I won't have a problem using one or more graduated ND filters to help tell what I want in the shot. After seeing seeing that used well in Rodriguez' X-Vario shots, I'm not worrying excessively about "staying true." I do try to make it just subtle enough that you might not notice it if you're not looking for it. Example is ND graduation from the left on "the wave." It's noticeable, but not excessive - well at least for me.

"cast aside" is just about right out of the camera, a bit of straightening and slight crop. That's how beautiful that light was. Very slight graduated ND from the right-lower corner.

"vadnais evening" had a bit of contrast for the top-half, bright boost for the bottom to almost balance them.

"mystery of the trees" is right out of the camera. The big mystery here is why the photog underexposed so much. (Seriously, I took a few at various exposures, this is the best.) Choked-down to f18 or f22 to get the sun-star.

"lake of tranquility" had the most processing. The far shore has been pushed out of the blacks, sky and reflection were balanced against each other with contrast, and brightness respectively. Believe it or not, I cut down some color in that shot, heh. It still looks a bit more processed that what I ideally like, but it just looks better to my eye than when I pull it further back - so here it stays.

• Like Like x 1