RAW processing problems from LX5

andrewh973

Regular
Hello all,

Well... finally, I acquired the Panasonic/Lumix LX5. I'm very happy with its overall performance -- takes some getting used to, as I'm accustomed to handling a much bigger camera (Canon F-1N). Nonetheless, it's a sweet little thing (and my wife likes it, too).

My issue is this: I'm having problems opening and working with RAW files. I'm using Adobe Creative Suite CS2 (Photoshop CS is within) on a Mac G4, and am converting the RAW files from the LX5 camera using Adobe DNG converter (version 6.3). The DNG converts, but am not able to open in Photoshop (a pop-up window says that Photoshop cannot read the file). Adobe's website indicates that DNG files are supported by Photoshop CS2, which I'd like to use for finer adjustments.

I'd appreciate some advice with this matter and workflow, as I'd like to work with RAW files. Thanks much in advance. Look forward to sharing some shots with you.

Andrew.

Oh, yeah... The Adobe Update situation.
More than likely, your CS2 version won't read the files even if they are DNG. Adobe forces you to update I think every 2 updates in order for things to work.
The DNG files you have will work on the updated CS 4or above. I don't think you can read them on CS2.

I'm sure a few members will chime in and offer some resolution. If it actually comes to where you have to spend money to update, get Light Room.....

Hi Andrew,

CS2 does support DNG files, but I do not think it supports the LX5. Software is not format dependant as much as it is camera dependant. For example, CS3 opens Sigma's x3f files generally - and has no problem with DP1 files, but I would need CS5 to open the later model DP2s files.

I'd recommend checking whether CS2 supports LX5. I suspect not! A very effective market sustainment campaign on Adobe's behalf....don't you think ;)

Umm...not sure of this helps as the OP had CS4, but it does talk about backwards RAW support for CS2-4. Without an LX5 any more, I can't back this up with experimentation, so will leave it in your capable hands Andrew.

Thanks much... It looks as if i might have to get some sort of upgrade. My Mac's a G4 (non-Intel); and all the current software (Adobe CS5, Lightroom, et al) require Mac with Intel processors. I'll dig around a little more....

Back