What is your camera bag(s) for your Leica?

Discussion in 'Leica Accessories' started by xdayv, Mar 31, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I have the Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag to carry both my rangefinder and Micro 4/3s camera.

But I just picked up, by impulse, a Kata Lite - 433 DL bag. It fits in a Leica M Monochrom with 50mm 1.4 mounted, with half leather case, spare battery and card. It's good for those lazy days where no photographic adventure is imminent. It can be worn by the belt like a belt bag. Too early to judge, but so far so good.

How about you?

2. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Billingham L2, also known as Alice. I carry one body, six lenses, and other assorted bits in a fairly compact package.

3. Armanius

Armanius Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Texas
    Mutley
    Billingham Hadley Pro. Next bag will likely be a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Billingham Hadley Pro in the shires, Safrotto in the City ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

5. flash

flash Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I stopped buying bags when I got my Hadly Pro as my daily bag for my Leicas. I have a nasty habit of buying cheap bags over and over until I cave and just get a Billingham (I now have 4 Billinghams).

For extended trips I use a lowepro Flipside 400 backpack which can hold a Leica m4/3 mix. And for working I use a Prorunner X series bag plus a street and field belt system.

I have another 20+ bags I should sell.

Gordon

6. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Billingham seems to be the best bag for Leica - there seems to be a connection between the 2. I almost fell into this, but getting it from this side of the world proved to be a challenge, I settled for the Think Tank Retrospective 5.

7. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    My favorite is the Tamrac Aria 6. It's cheapish compared to the Billingham and Think Tank bags mentioned here, but it ticks all the boxes for me:

-Casual, modern style
    -No velcro
    -Super light but padded enough
    -Water resistant
    -Holds up to 2 M bodies with lenses mounted with room for a couple more lenses plus a tablet
    -Very slim

8. usayit

usayit Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Northern NJ
    * Billingham Hadley (the older version classic)
    * Fossil "man purse" (as some would say) with a 2 compartment domke insert. << Most commonly carried.
    * Domke F6 ruggedwear for more stuff. (I would recommend canvas instead)

9. kingsfan

kingsfan Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Highland Park, CA
    i take my leica to work in a tenba messenger mini. the laptop pocket fits my 13" lappy perfectly and i have room for the camera body, rolls of film, an extra lens (or smaller camera), external hard drive and lappy charger. i work in Downtown LA so i take the camera out on lunch break or for an hour or two after work.

10. TraamisVos

TraamisVos Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I have just bought a bag after a couple of months of looking around. It's the Vanguard Up-Rise 28. I can fit:

- two M lenses,

- a Leica body with a lens attached,

- as well as my Canon DSLR 7D with a zoom attached to it as well.

There's also space on top of that for a magazine and/or iPad, and other little pockets for extra batteries and filters, umbrella, sunglasses case etc.

11. Archiver

Archiver Leica Place Rookie

Apr 1, 2013
    I don't have as many bags as some. My go-to bag for everyday carry and work is the Thinktank Urban Disguise 30, purchased in late 2009 or early 2010. Some find it too deep for rangefinders, but for me, it's just dandy. While I have and love my Hadley Pro as a fine piece of workmanship, it is just not as convenient as the Urban Disguise.

Urban Disguise 35 V2.0

Mine is the older version, no way near as tall, but similar style and compartment design.

The TT has two handles, one one either side of the zippered main compartment. This makes for easy hand carry whether the bag is open or closed, something the HP struggles with when open.

The TT's zip means that I can quickly seal the bag or access it from the top, unlike the HP and most other bags with large flaps. All zips on the TT are very heavy duty and coated with plastic so they don't scratch your gear, either. Being able to access the main compartment without a flap means being able to slip a compact in and out with little fuss or visibility.

Shoulder straps are another point of difference. You can easily change the TT strap for another, and the metal catches on the ends of the strap have rotating pivots so the strap can be easily unraveled if need be. The UD30 strap is quite light, but the UD40 strap has a thicker shoulder pad and is extra comfortable.

The Hadley Pro has two front pockets with snaps, large enough for film and other doodads. The Thinktank has a front flap that contains a large zippered pocket, with slots for pens, memory cards, a toggle for a keychain, etc. Under the flap is another zippered comparment which can be used for more securable items like money, passport, etc. I often wish the Hadley Pro had more zippered pockets and compartments.

The TT even has elasticated side pockets that can carry water bottles, umbrellas, a rolled up magazine or things of similar size and shape. If you want external side pockets on the Hadley Pro, you need to buy extra pouches that attach to the ends of the bag.

I've been giving a lot of thought to the Ari Marcopolous bag by Incase. It looks like a great way to carry a lot of gear, including a DSLR, rangefinder, compact and lenses. It could hold two rangefinder bodies and a slew of lenses.

Ari Marcopoulos Camera Bag for SLR Camera by Incase

As a fun non-camera bag, I recently picked up the wonderful Cote et Ciel Spree Messenger in Techno (nylon) canvas. The zippered laptop compartment on the back is perfect for slim cameras, making it unnecessary to use the main compartment unless I have to. The bag is soft but reasonably well padded, and molds to the body in a way that I wish the Hadley Pro and Urban Disguise did. I use this when I'm only carrying one camera like the M9, M7 or Fuji X100.

Côte&Ciel - Spree Messenger

In Hong Kong this year, I was going to buy the Wotancraft Ryker, but I was quite surprised at how small it is. I was expecting something at least as big as a Hadley, but it's more like a Hadley Small, or even smaller. Still, if you want to carry just one rangefinder and a spare lens, or the X1/2 or other compact camera, the Ryker is a gorgeous and very well made bag. It's the kind of camera bag you could wear with a suit and still look good. I'm still thinking about getting one.

Ryker | Wotancraft Atelier

12. bijansabet

bijansabet New to Leica Place

Mar 30, 2013
    I'm about to order the filson small field bag to carry my m9 and two lenses. Looks sweet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

13. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
  14. kingsfan

kingsfan Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Highland Park, CA
  15. usayit

Mar 31, 2013
    Northern NJ
    They've always worked closely together:

Leica Camera AG - Photography - 'BILLINGHAM' COMBINATION CASE

16. chalkdust

chalkdust Leica Place Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    I use a Saddleback Leather medium gadget bag. I put chargers and flash and doodads in the bottom, then a medium gadget sleeve over that stuff to be a "floor" for my M8.2 and a couple of lenses. It works really well for me.

17. Haans

Haans Leica Place Rookie

Apr 13, 2013
    Minneapolis, Mn.
    [/CODE]
    Before you plunk down all that cash for a Filson, check these on ebay...32 bucks including shipping. Also includes a padded insert and fits a couple of Leica M's and a lens or two in the side pockets.

Attached Files:

18. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I use a Leica half-case with the M Monochrom and M9, a Zhou half case for the M8. I have Nikon soft pouch cases that they fit into with the half-case on, a CS-9, CS-10 fits perfectly. The CS-9 is the favorite. These were made for the Nikon F2. I am old, they are durable.

19. Adam

Adam New to Leica Place

Apr 13, 2013
    New Caledonia
    Adam
    Apart from the AA halfcase, my camera usually lives in a GI-M8, and then into any other bag. It feels versatile this way, being able to put it anywhere.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using LeicaPlace mobile app

20. usayit

Mar 31, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Could you post the name of the ebay seller? I'm not finding similar for the same price range.