Where to send Summarit for repair?

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by Amin, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    I have a frontfocusing 90mm Summarit. Bought it for a great price, but focus is way off. It's not under warranty. Where should I send it for repair? I know some of my options include Leica NJ, Solms, and DAG. Anyone recommend one over the others?

2. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Either DAG or Sherry.

3. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I would send it to Leica NJ. Good experience with them so far.

4. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    I like DAG but can take some time. YYE has a quicker turn around time and less expensive but not sure if he can fix a Summarit.

5. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    When last I checked YYE did not have a collimator. I will check with him again since he is local and did good work on my M9.

Antonio, did you ever have Leica NJ fix a lens focus, and if so, how much did they charge?

6. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    If he is local to you, call him up and drive over with the lens on the M9. You'll get better results with the lens being set for the camera that it will be used with rather than a collimator.

7. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Here's the response I got from Sherry Krauter:

I called Leica NJ who said I could send the lens in without the camera. I'm worried about how much they will charge, though. I've sent lenses to DAG in the past, and he did great work for a very reasonable price, but it took longer than I would like.

YYE is local to me, but I don't know if he adjusts focus on lenses at all. Waiting for him to return my email...

8. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Too bad Sherry won't work on digital, focus of lenses should be the same regardless of format. She did a great job on my M5 and Summitar.

9. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    No, sorry. Haven't had to have any of my lenses adjusted yet. I had Leica NJ replace the mount on my 50mm Elmar to get the 6 bit coding. That was a $230 charge, but they also cleaned and adjusted the lens (without my having asked for it). They also replaced the sensor on my M9P, but that was done under warranty at no cost.

Both times they were prompt with their service and very courteous in their communication with me.

Antonio

10. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    I can focus this lens properly by aligning the RF and then turning a touch counterclockwise past the point of maximal alignment. With some practice, I think it could become second nature. Is that a bad habit to get into, compensating for frontfocus this way?

11. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    "In the Day of the Rangefinders" Every manufacturer made assumptions about how film sits in their cameras, and set the lens accordingly. Canon made different assumptions from Leica. Even with the Leica digital cameras, the M8 with its Crop sensor is slightly different from the M Monochrom; the M9 seems to be a bit different as well. With the M Monochrom- focus shifts ever so slightly towards infinity with orange and red filters.

Bill Pierce wrote on RFF that he always dropped his camera and lenses off to a local shop to be "zeroed", ie the set of lenses custom mated to the camera. I do that with my three digital Leica's. I even have a Summarit 5cm F1.5 custom modified for wide-open use on the M9. That involved changing the focal length of the Summarit, which is a nominal 51.1mm.