White Balance..... M240

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Christilou, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Here are a couple of pics, one auto WB and the other rectified slightly by using the dropper in LR5. Not great but the best I can hope for I think.

13468641794_47eccbf762_b.

13468641334_114f459f16_b.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    That's a difficult lighting situation, looks like the various light sources are at different temperatures. I think most color cameras would have problems as the color-balance is not even across the image.

• Like Like x 3
  3. brusby

brusby Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Yep, it's hard to get good color balance relying just on the camera or hoping to find a neutral gray or white in the photo so the dropper can give good results, particularly in mixed lighting situations. These days I usually do it manually -- by playing with the 2 sliders and then sometimes desaturating individual colors that are about to blow out.

I could be wrong, but it looks like his face is a little too magenta. But if you move the magenta slider the other way, it will increase green, which is wrong for the background because it's already a bit green. But I'd adjust for the skin tones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. brusby

Mar 1, 2014
    I had one that went the other way (too blue) from my being in a hurry and mis-setting the white balance. None of the automatic or dropper solutions worked so 'had to resort to manual. Still some issue going on with the white t-shirt and lanyard going blue (probably from whitening agents in the fabric) but I was just adjusting for skin tones. If this were a keeper image, I'd fix those whites locally.

View attachment 7051

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Amazing what you can do when you know how !

6. brusby

Mar 1, 2014
    I'd say the same to you. You've been posting some very beautiful photos on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  7. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Hi Christine,

Of the original and the corrected examples, I'd probably go for something in between. :)

The location was an indoor, evening setting. Something we tend to remember having somewhat warm lighting. I'd go for whatever induces the feel you want to portray for the shot, or series of shots. I don't think there's any "right" answer, "clinically-correct" can lead to uninteresting photos. I generally go for "believable, and supporting the feel I want for the shot."

• Like Like x 2
  8. jloden

jloden Leica Place Rookie

Mar 28, 2014
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah that is definitely a tough one, and I think you did pretty well all things considered! A couple other tips (beyond what I'd mentioned in the other thread):

1) You can sometimes get away with using the white of someone's eye as a neutral for the WB dropper tool. Usually I find you need to correct a little manually but it often gets you in the ballpark.

2) I sometimes find the VSCO "orange skin fix" preset (regular and +1 version) from the VSCO color toolkit helps if the lighting is warm but you want to keep skin tones from going to orange or reddish. I know you use VSCO so you should already have that in the toolkit. It basically desaturates the orange a bit in the image so you might also try dropping the reds a bit as well.

• Like Like x 1