Will a Leica X1 or M9 take better pictures than a Canon 5D or 7D?

Discussion in 'Leica X Forum' started by DiaZN, May 30, 2014.

1. DiaZN

DiaZN Banned

May 30, 2014
    The specs are nowhere near as good on the Leica with no features at all and a boring menu system and low res screen and most dont have view finders and they are only 12 megapxels and could be lower aperatures so what is really determining the quality of the picture if not those things? The sample leica photos on their website are amazing looking

2. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    It's all about the glass.

3. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    And the approach going on behind the glass.

Try one. If you like the experience, appreciate how the glass, sensor, and camera work for you, go for it.

If not, there are many other cameras with more features for less money. Hopefully something will grab you and make you want to go get images. :)

4. kingsfan

kingsfan Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Highland Park, CA
    menus and lcds and megapickles don't make good pictures

• Like Like x 1
  5. rbelyell

rbelyell Leica Place Veteran

May 25, 2014
    i had and loved the 5d mk1. my x100 has better IQ at iso800 and above and was competitive at lower isos. cant imagaine any way the m9 wouldnt perform as well as my x100. if you want to add in the difference in size, both of the cam and accompanying glass, well...

6. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Just FYI, OP was banned for posting spam, not for questioning the worth of Leica products :p.

• Like Like x 3
  7. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Ugh. Seemed like real questions. But a disingenuous agenda.

8. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I smelled a troll from the get go as the question screamed intruder/fraud. However, the proper way to have asked question in today's world where most all cameras can "take" good enough pictures is "can a photographer 'make' a good photograph with the X1 or any other camera that May specs that don't match another camera's specs."

Of course you can.

9. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Troll yes, but did bring some great replies and allowed some of us share what WE value about Leicas.

Sent from my iPhone using LeicaPlace mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  10. NJH

NJH Leica Place Regular

Apr 29, 2013
    Oh its really simple for me. I like the rangefinder experience, a lot. Especially with a 50 mounted on my M7 0.85 I feel more connected photographically to the world around me than with any other camera I have used. I would like to invent all kinds of other reasons but really it just boils down to that.

I don't feel so enamoured with Leica's direction, pricing, digital RF durability (constant trickle of problems from M8 onwards) or for that matter using lenses outside of the normal range on rangefinders, where I increasingly feel it just doesn't really work and I don't think ever did. Photographers in the past were not afraid to use multiple different systems so no reason why it should be any different today.

• Like Like x 1
  11. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    35 and 50 are definitely where the rangefinder excels. One thing I enjoy is the incredible variety at each focal length. I only have one 35mm lens which and really like it (35mm f/2.5 Summarit-M), but I have four 50mm lenses and just love using them. On the M Monochrom the Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar (1937) is my favorite lens, while on film I prefer the 50mm f/2 Summicron-M (v5). Regardless, the 50mm frame lines are perfect and everything just feels right.

• Like Like x 3
  12. NJH

NJH Leica Place Regular

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah I agree with that, I ended up with 3, Planar/Sonnar/Elmar-M but really can't afford to have 3. The Elmar-M is my current favourite. Its really great to have such a wide array of choices.

13. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I might have fifty 50s in Leica mount. Many of those are custom conversions, many one-of-a-kind.

• Like Like x 2
  14. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Brian, how do you go about choosing one when you go out? I have enough trouble choosing between my four.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Some people have a lot of ties, and pick one that fits their mood. It's like that with lenses- I have a good idea of their rendering- the look they give to suit a situation.

I haven't bought a tie since the 1980s.

• Like Like x 3
  16. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Picking a tie is easy. I wear whichever one my leaves out the night before.

• Like Like x 2
  17. airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc Leica Place Veteran

Apr 1, 2013
    For me my MM doesn't have all the stuff that the Canokon fan boys want on their cameras. It's a camera that keeps me involved in the process and stays out of the way when I work.

18. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

It's very gratifying to have Leicas in this age of automation and throw-away devices. Certain things do contribute to your end results here, and those include the investment you make in time and money, and your attitude in adapting to what you have - how you get to know the camera and make best use of it.